Ever wanted to know what type of mindset it takes to survive and thrive in the modern music industry? Point Blank LA’s lead music business instructor, Marko DeSantis, has composed 10 more great tips for achieving success in this ever-changing industry. If you haven’t checked out the first installment of tips, make sure to read it here.
Marko is best known as the lead guitarist for the rock band Sugarcult, who released 3 studio albums (including their RIAA-certified Gold® Record debut Start Static), headlined festivals such Glastonbury, Reading, and Warped Tour, and toured internationally with Green Day and Blink-182. He has also produced radio shows, podcasts, and worked as a DJ in Japan, Russia, Mexico, Australia, and across America. Check out Marko’s tips below.
Additionally, if you’re interested in learning the ins and outs of the music business from the architect behind the careers of Beyoncé, Destiny’s Child, Solange, and more, spots are still open for Music Industry in the Digital Age with Dr. Mathew Knowles. We’re currently offering 20% off our in-person course at Point Blank LA with code MK20 and 50% off remote delivery of the course with code MKREMOTE50. Enroll now!
- “If more information was the answer, then we’d all be billionaires with perfect abs.” – Derek Sivers (Founder of CD Baby)
- “Bring something to the table other than just wanting to be at the table.” – Jennifer Horton (President of Matrix Artists)
- “Understand that getting help isn’t a sign of weakness, it’s a sign of strength.” – Michelle Obama
- “First say to yourself what you would be, and then do what you have to do.” – Epictetus
- “To find your fans you don’t need a telescope, you need a mirror.” – Marko DeSantis
- “Desire is the starting point of all achievement, not a hope, not a wish, but a keen pulsating desire which transcends everything.” – Napoleon Hill (author)
- “Don’t care what they may say, we got that attitude… Hey we got that P.M.A. (Positive Mental Attitude).” – Bad Brains (from the song “Attitude”)
- “When you’re young you run on intuition, when you’re old you run on experience (if you run at all!).” – Robyn Hitchcock
- “I don’t care about what people think, because people don’t think.” – Kanye West
- “We’re in this period where we have this enormous capacity for altruism. I think a lot of people right now are looking for a way to help. They just don’t necessarily know where to start or what to do.” – Ben Gibbard (Death Cab for Cutie)
- “I never had the feeling I ever had to make a dime doing anything.” – Rick Rubin
- “Service to others is the rent you pay for your room here on earth.” – Muhammad Ali
- “If I’d asked people what they wanted, they’d have said: ‘faster horses’.” – Henry Ford
- “It’s always irritated me that people say, ‘Where’s the action? Oh wow, there’s no action here; let’s go somewhere else.’ These people will never find the action.” – David Lee Roth
- “I finally decided to give music my all. If it didn’t work out and I had to move home, fine. I had to give it 100% first.” – Saweetie
- “I haven’t failed yet, I’ve just found 10,000 ways that won’t work. Success is almost in my grasp.” -Thomas Edison
- “Doja Cat was an overnight success story… 9 years in the making!” – Yeti Beats (Producer/Songwriter for Doja Cat)
- “If at first you don’t succeed, skydiving is not for you!” – Steven Wright (comedian)
- “Seek freedom and become captive of your desires. Seek discipline and find your liberty.” – Frank Herbert
- “If this company is about anything, it’s about discipline and staying focused.” – Jimmy Iovine (Interscope Records/Beats)
- “The line between being an artist and being delusional is thin.” – Brian Koppelman (A&R Rep/Record Producer)
- “You can start making music in your bedroom for next to nothing and hang some blankets on the walls and reach millions of people nowadays. And I find that particularly inspiring.” – Jack Conte (singer/songwriter)
- “No person has the power to have everything they want, but it is in their power not to want what they don’t have, and to cheerfully put to good use what they do have.” – Seneca
- “Rock’n’roll works as a common experience and private obsession. The two can’t really be separated. – Jann Wenner (Rolling Stone Magazine)
- “We imagined ourselves as the Sons of Liberty with a mission to preserve, protect, and project the revolutionary spirit of rock and roll. We feared that the music which had given us sustenance was in danger of spiritual starvation. We feared it losing its sense of purpose…” – Patti Smith
- “The two most exciting days of your life are the day you are born, and the day you discover the reason why.” – Mark Twain
- “Without art, the crudeness of reality would make the world unbearable.” – George Bernard Shaw
- “Our chances of being born are about 1 in 400 trillion. You’re not special, but you are f**king lucky. Enjoy your amazing life…” – Ricky Gervais
- “You’ve got to handle the curves…” – Tom Waits
- “Don’t waste your death on a half-assed life!” – Nikki Sixx (Mötley Crüe)
Want to learn more about our LA courses? Then be sure to attend our next Point Blank Los Angeles Open House on September 23 by signing up here.
Point Blank is proud to offer a range of exclusive features to our LA students. Call a College Admissions Advisor now at (323) 594-8740 or Contact Us and start your career in the music industry today.
Register to Access Free Courses, Plugins, Projects, Samples & More
When you register with Point Blank, you access an array of free sounds, plugins, online course samples and much more! Simply register below and visit our Free Stuff page to get your hands on a range of exclusive music-making tools and tutorials provided by the team. Fill your boots!
This post is included in News, Point Blank LA, Round-ups